Universal credit

Home > Council tax and benefits > Universal credit

What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. It replaces six existing benefits. Full service Universal Credit was rolled out in the Tewkesbury Borough area from December 2017.

Universal Credit replaces housing benefit, income support, jobseeker’s allowance, employment and support allowance, child tax credits and working tax credits.  Instead of receiving different benefits you will receive just one monthly payment to cover all of them. It is paid into your bank or building society once a month. The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) are responsible for administering Universal Credit.

When it comes to your rent this is included in your Universal Credit payment. Currently, your housing benefit may be paid directly to your landlord be it a private landlord or housing association. If you are moved on to Universal Credit it will be up to you to manage your monthly finances and ensure that you pay your rent on time.

Does it affect me?

From 6 December 2017:

  • If you are a new benefit claimant you are likely to receive Universal Credit (Full Service).

  • If you are already claiming benefits you are unlikely to be affected unless your circumstances change.

  • If you are a pensioner you won’t be affected - you will carry on receiving existing benefits as usual.

How to make a claim

Find out everything you need to know about Universal Credit full service and how to claim online. You will need access to the internet to check any emails and log into your account.

If you already have an online account and want to return to a claim: 

We can help

Help to pay your council tax - council tax reduction is not included in Universal Credit and you will have to apply for this separately.

Further information