Street trading

Home > Business > Licences and permits > Street trading

Street trading is the selling of goods or food in any "street."  The term 'street' includes any road, footway or other area to which the public have access without payment (this can include private land).  Typical examples of street trading that goes on in the area include selling hot food from vans parked in laybys or on industrial estates and selling ice cream from a mobile van.

We recognise that street trading can provide a useful service to people who live in or visit the Tewkesbury Borough area, particularly in rural areas without many local shops.

Before you can trade in the street in our area you must get a street trading consent issued by us.  If a person trades without our consent, then they are committing an offence and can be fined up to £1,000.

We have adopted a policy on street trading, which gives guidance to applicants, officers and councillors on the principles that we will apply when deciding whether or not to grant a street trading consent to somebody.


To apply for a street trading consent you should complete the application form and accompanying documents then return to us at: The Licensing Department, Tewkesbury Borough Council, Public Services Centre, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury, GL20 5TT.

Will tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that we consider and processes all applications.

Applications - prevention of fraud

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide on application forms for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.