Tewkesbury Borough Council is responsible for street naming and postal numbering of all streets within the borough including private and unadopted streets.
We do this so that new street names and building names and numbers are allocated logically to ensure, among other things:
- The effective delivery of mail.
- That emergency service vehicles are able to locate addresses easily.
Sections 17, 18 and 19 of the Public Health Act 1925 enable the local authority to maintain a good standard of street naming and numbering schemes and to improve standards where necessary. They are essential for the efficient operation of the postal and emergency services as well as for the convenience and safety of the general public.
The criteria for registering addresses includes:
- Adding or changing a name.
- Registration of one property or unit.
- Multiple addresses such as blocks of flats or two or more properties.
- New developments.
- Renaming of an existing street.
The street naming and numbering function is carried out for us by Cheltenham Borough Council alongside our Building Control service however any payments must be made to Tewkesbury Borough Council.
Street naming and numbering application process
We will notify Royal Mail as soon as new streets or premises have been provisionally named or numbered so that they can register and allocate a postcode. It may take up to 10 working days for Royal Mail to issue post codes.
Once the full postal address has been confirmed by Royal Mail, notification will be sent out to the applicant. We will also notify the emergency services and the Land Registry of the new address.
Once a correct postal address has been produced we will incorporate the information on the Land and Property Gazetteer, the authoritative reference for location and addressing of all land and property in Cheltenham.
Please be aware that the process may take up to six weeks as all information has to be verified and confirmed with the emergency services and Royal Mail.
Application forms, fees and guidance
Category 1 - Changes to an existing postal address
- This form will be for the renaming of an existing single residential dwelling or industrial unit or adding a name to a numbered property.
- The charge for this application category 1 will be £35 (No VAT).
Category 2 - New developments not involving new street naming (such as single infill plot, conversion or merge/split - residential and industrial)
- This form is for the naming or numbering of new single/multiple build(s) residential dwelling(s) or industrial unit(s) not involving new street naming.
- This form is also for the naming or numbering of more than one apartments/flats (2+ properties), not involving new street naming.
- The charge for this application category 2 will be £50 per plot/unit to a maximum of £500 (No VAT).
Category 3 - Developments requiring new street naming and numbering
- This form will be for developments for residential or industrial units requiring a new street name.
- The charge for this application category 3 will be £100 per street plus £50 per plot/unit to a maximum of £500 (No VAT). For example a new development of 2 streets with 20 plots in each will be a total charge of £1,000.
Category 4 - Renaming an existing street
- This form is for an application to rename an existing street.
- The charge for this application category 4 is £100 (No VAT) per street.
- No charge if authority imposing numbering scheme or road name to existing properties.
For guidance on the process and completion of the forms please see the guidance document below.
Forms and further information
Pay fees online
If you require any advice regarding postal addresses and street naming please contact Cheltenham (who carry out the service on our behalf) using the details below.
- Telephone: 01242 264321
- Email: email@example.com