What is Self-Build Housing?
Self-build can offer an alternative to traditional home ownership and an opportunity to own a sustainable and high quality designed home.
Self-build is where the individual partly or wholly controls the design, funding, planning and building of a home. This can involve building part or all of a home oneself or alternatively hiring a contractor to do the same. Self-builders can work as individuals or as a group.
How can I Register my Interest?
Tewkesbury Borough Council is committed to supporting both affordable and market housing and is working to make it easier for more people to build their own home.
The Act places a duty on local authorities to maintain a register of people who have expressed an interest in self-build and custom build projects. If you would like to register an interest in building your own home, please initially email an expression of interest containing the following information to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Title, Name, Full Postal Address, Contact Email and Contact Telephone Number - personal information will not be shared with a third party without your express consent.
- Basic eligibility criteria: Please confirm that:
- You are aged 18 or older.
- You are a British citizen, a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and You are seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority's area to build a house to occupy as your sole or main residence.
- The nature of the self-build project you are interested in - Individual plot; Individual serviced plot as part of a larger self-build site (provided by a developer, local authority or landlord); Community led/collective Self-build projects, such as Community Land Trusts or co-housing projects; Eco-homes; or not sure yet.
- What you want to build - Detached house, semi-detached, terraced, flat or maisonette as part of a 'group' self-build project.
- What size of home do you want to build - number of bedrooms, garden, garage or parking.
- Where you wish to build the self-build project described above - Do you own the land? If so please provide a map or plan identifying the boundary in red. If not where do you wish to build (specific locations or Urban/suburban/rural), what size plot do you require, what is your budget and when do you wish to start or acquire the land).
- Whether you have any connection to the intended self-build area.
- The finances you may have in place for this self-build project - including savings/deposit, ability to borrow, rental budget and whether interested in: Full ownership; shared equity or rental.
- What you have done to progress the self-build project to date.
- What additional help would be useful to progress the self-build project.
Sources of Help, Advice & Funding
For help finding what type of self-build is best for you and your budget visit the self build portal.
If you are looking for a building plot
If you have a building plot
Check our self build public register.
Saving for a Deposit
Often saving for a deposit is the hardest part of getting on the housing ladder for those purchasing new and existing homes and for self-builders and custom-builders themselves. For this reason the government have created the new Help to Buy: ISA which pays first-time buyers a government bonus. For example, save £200 a month and they will add £50, up to a maximum of £3,000, boosting your ISA savings of £12,000 to £15,000. Find out more at: helptobuy.gov.uk.