Riding establishments

Home > Business > Licences and permits > Riding establishments

If you let out horses or ponies for hire or you provide riding school services you need a licence from us.

Before we can issue you a licence we need to check the suitability of your premises.

You will receive a visit from a vet and the fire officer (both of which are arranged by us) in addition to an environmental health officer. If the premises are found to be suitable we will then be able to issue a licence, and the business may begin. The licence will have certain conditions attached to it. These relate to the condition of the horses, the suitability of the premises and the experience of the instructors.

Your licence will run for a 12 month period, and must be renewal each year.

We will consider the following criteria when considering an application:

  • Suitable qualifications
  • Condition of horses especially hooves/shoes
  • Suitability of horses for hire
  • Accommodation - construction size etc.
  • Grass
  • Food, drink and bedding
  • Prevention of disease
  • Fire precautions
  • Adequate accommodation for forage, bedding and saddlery


To apply for a licence you need to complete an application form, and submit it to us with the appropriate fee and the documents referred to on the form to: The Licensing Department, Tewkesbury Borough Council, Public Services Centre, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury, GL20 5TT.

The current fee to apply for a licence to keep a riding establishment is £169. You must also meet the costs of the vet inspection that is required as part of the application process.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please get in touch.

Fire safety

You can find advice on fire safety in stables and other animal premises on the department for communities and local government website.