Registering to vote
- Register online at gov.uk/register-to-vote (externally managed Government website).
- Email Tewkesbury Borough Council electoral services and request that an individual voting registration form be posted out to you. You will need to provide your postal address in your email. The form that will be sent to you can only be used by one person, so if you need more than one form please say so and provide the names of all persons to receive a form.
You should ensure that your form is signed, that all sections have been completed (where applicable) and then post your completed form to:
Electoral Services, Tewkesbury Borough Council, Public Services Centre, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20 5TT.
Please note the following before completing an individual voting registration form:
- Persons wishing to register as service voters, crown voters, overseas electors or persons of no fixed abode (declaration of local connection) can also download and print off an application form for these purposes from the government website gov.uk/register-to-vote.
- There are deadlines for registering to vote in the run up to an election. If an election is imminent or if you are concerned that this may apply to you, please contact Electoral Services immediately 01684 272025 for more information.
- There are monthly deadlines for returning voting registration forms in relation to credit referencing. Residents are responsible for ensuring that completed voting registration forms are returned to this department before such deadlines, IF relevant to them.
- There are two versions of the Register of Electors. More information on this is provided below.
The two versions of the Register of Electors
The Electoral Registration Officer makes and keeps two versions of the Electoral Register - the Full Register and the Open Register (also known as the Edited Register).
The Full Register lists everyone who is entitled to vote and is available for general viewing at the borough council offices as a paper document. Only certain people and organisations can receive copies of the Full Register, and they can only use it for specified purposes. The main use of the Full Register is for elections and referendums, but it can also be used for other purposes such as the prevention and detection of crime and for checking your identity when you have applied for credit. Details of others who can have copies of the Full Register and what they can use it for are given in the Representation of the People (England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2002 (SI 2002 No.1871).
It is a criminal offence not to comply with the regulations. For example, it is a criminal offence either to pass the Full Register on to anyone or to use it for any purpose, except as allowed by the regulations. These regulations are available on the internet at legislation.hmso.gov.uk/stat or you can buy a copy from The Stationery Office Ltd.
The Open/Edited Register leaves out the names and addresses of people who have asked for them to be excluded from that version of the Register. The Open/Edited Register can be bought by anyone and they may use it for any purpose. You can choose not to appear on the Open Register by ticking the relevant box on the individual voter registration form when you register to vote.
Tewkesbury Borough Council,
Public Services Centre,
Phone: 01684 272025
Fax: 01684 272040
If you require this information in an alternative format or language please contact Electoral Services on 01684 272025 and we will do our best to help.