Pet shops

Home > Business > Licences and permits > Pet shops

You need a licence from us if you want to run a business selling pet animals. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including traditional pet shops and those businesses selling animals over the internet.

We must have regard to the following things when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

  • That animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
  • Adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
  • That any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
  • That steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
  • That adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place.

We can attach conditions to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.

Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.


An application form that you can use to apply for a licence to keep a pet shop can be downloaded below:

The form should be completed and returned with the relevant fee to us at: The Licensing Department, Tewkesbury Borough Council, Public Services Centre, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury, GL20 5TT.

The current fee to apply for a pet shop licence is £169.

When an application is made in respect of premises not previously licensed as a pet shop, we will appoint a vet to inspect the premises and provide a report to us on the suitability of the premises and applicant.  The cost of the vet inspection must be met by person applying for the licence.

Once we have granted you a licence it will remain in force until the 31 December in that year and then expire, at which point you must apply to renew the licence if you want to continue to keep a pet shop.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please get in touch.

Fire Safety

You can find advice on fire safety in animal premises on the department for communities and local government website.