Personal licences

Home > Business > Licences and permits > Personal licences

Having a personal licence allows you to supply alcohol or authorise the supply of alcohol from any licensed premise. You must have a personal licence if you want to act as the designated premises supervisor (DPS) at any premises licensed to sell alcohol. 

Once granted, a personal licence remains in force for ten years and must then be renewed.


You will need to be the holder of an accredited Licensing Qualification from the list below:

  • BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders

  • EDI Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders

  • HABC Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders

  • NCFE Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders

  • SQA Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders

You will also need to provide one of the following, which must have been issued no earlier than one month before the application is made:-

  • A Criminal Convictions Certificate (Basic Disclosure), which can be obtained from Disclosure and Barring Service on 0300 0200 190. Applications for basic disclosures can also be made online via the website

  • The results of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998(b) of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service

You will need to submit all these items when applying for a personal licence or your application cannot be accepted. Please contact us if you would like more information about making an application for a personal licence.

If you have a personal licence holder, there are certain responsibilities and duties that you must comply with. One of the most important duties is to tell us if your name or address changes. The relevant form above can be used to notify us of such a change.

Prevention of fraud

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you provide on application forms for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.