How we use your information

Home > How we use your information

To sort privacy data by department please use the drop down menu below:

Data Protection legislation

Tewkesbury Borough Council uses personal information to provide services to its customers. The Council is the Controller of the information we hold about you and as such makes the decision about how your information is used. Where we use third parties to provide services on our behalf, they are Processor and can only use the personal data for the purposes we tell them.

When we use information about you we have to comply with data protection legislation by making sure you understand how we and our third party providers use your information and what your rights are over the personal data we hold.

The Council carries out a number of different functions so we have set out clearly how each service area and third party provider uses your information.

If you want more guidance on data protection in general you can go to the Information Commissioners website where you will find information about your rights and what we need to do in order to comply with the law.

Where you tell one service area that your contact details have changed, we may share this information across the Council and our third party providers as we have a duty to ensure the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date.

You have certain rights over the information we hold about you. You can contact or write to:

Tewkesbury Borough Council,
Public Services Centre,
Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury,
Gloucestershire. GL20 5TT.

Tewkesbury Borough Council has also appointed a Data Protection Officer to oversee the Council’s compliance with Data Protection legislation. You can contact the Data Protection Officer at if you have any queries regarding compliance.

Your rights

You can action any of your rights by filling in the data subject request form (doc, 66 KB) or contacting us using the contact details above.

1. The right to be informed about what information we hold about you

  • Each service area has a page that tells you how they use the information it holds about you. If you want to know more you can contact the council on the detail given above.

2. The right to have access to the information we hold about you

  • You have the right to know what information the council holds about and have access to copies of that information. We may ask you to tell us which services you use to help us find the information we hold about you; and we may ask you to provide identification to ensure we are giving the information to the right person.

3. The right to have inaccurate information about you put right

  • Where you think we are processing information about you that is incorrect, you can ask us to put it right. Please be clear about what information you think is inaccurate and if possible provide evidence of the inaccuracy.

4. The right to restrict processing

You can ask us to stop processing your personal data in the following circumstances:

  • Where you think we are processing information about you that is inaccurate, until we have verified it is accurate or changed it.
  • Where you object to the processing but only in limited circumstances and you think your rights override the Council’s rights to use your information.
  • Where you think we are using it unlawfully and you don’t want us to erase it, just stop using it. For example, where we no longer need the personal data but you require the information to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim.

5. The right to have data we hold about you erased

You can ask us to erase your personal data in the following circumstances:

  • Where we no longer need to use the personal information about you for the purpose for which it was originally collected or used.
  • If you withdraw your consent and there is no other lawful basis for us using your personal data.
  • If you object to the processing and there is no overriding legitimate interest for Tewkesbury Borough Council to continue using it.
  • The personal data was unlawfully processed.
  • The personal data has to be erased in order to comply with a legal obligation.

6. The right to data portability but only;

  • You can ask us to send personal data that you have given us to a third party or to yourself in a machine readable format. This only applies where the personal data has been provided under a contract or with your consent and where the personal data is processed by automatic means.

7. The right to object to:

You have the right to object to the following:

  • processing based on legitimate interests or the performance of a task in the public interest/exercise of official authority (including profiling) where your rights to privacy outweigh our right to use your personal data for this purpose;
  • direct marketing and
  • processing for purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics.

8. Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling

We can only carry out automated decision making about you in certain circumstances where they would have a significant legal effects on you.

The type of decision-making we can make are:

  • Where it is necessary for the entry into or performance of a contract; or
  • We are authorised to do so by UK law; or
  • You have given us your explicit consent.

Where we make automated decisions about you we will:

  1. Tell you that we are making an automated decision about you;
  2. Tell you that you can request human intervention or challenge a decision by writing to us using the contact details above; and
  3. carry out regular checks to make sure that our systems are working as intended.

9. How can I action my rights?

You can action your rights either verbally or in writing.

We will need you to provide us with enough information to confirm your identity so we can be satisfied that we are giving the personal data to the right person and any other details which you think may help us to find your information. We may also ask you for identification. You may wish for assistance and support from outside the Council; the Citizen’s Advice Bureau may be able to help you.

You may authorise someone else (your Agent) to make the application on your behalf. They will fill in and sign the application form but you must confirm that you agree that they can act on your behalf by completing Section 3 of the form.

Any written request or application form should be emailed, posted or delivered to the Council at the address below or call the Corporate Services Officer on 01684 272104 to make a verbal request. The information given will be a printout of the information from the computer system or be photocopies or scanned copies of manual records.

The Council is obliged to respond as soon as possible and at the latest within one month of receiving all the information we need to be able to action your request.

10. What should I do when I receive copies of the information you hold about me?

You should check it to ensure that you have received all the information which you are entitled to and to make sure it is correct. If you think that we hold information which is wrong you may ask for it to be changed and we will consider your request.

Address to which requests should be sent:

Further information on data protection can be obtained from:

  • The Office of the Information Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 5AF
  • Telephone: 01625 545745
  • Web Site:

11. What do I do if I have a complaint?

You can contact our Data Protection officer by email:

If you are not happy with our response you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office: