Help with debt

Home > Housing > Help with debt

Housing advice

Many people are worried about losing their home and keeping up repayments on other debts. We, and our partner agencies, can offer a range of services to help people through these difficult times.

Our housing advice officers can provide you with information and advice on all your housing options. We work proactively with other agencies to provide a range of services to address a variety of housing issues.

If you fear you are at risk of losing your home, you should contact your landlord or mortgage lender to discuss your circumstances with them. It is also advisable that you contact our Housing Advice team as early as possible, as the more time we have to work with you and other relevant agencies, the more options we have to explore and the more help we may be able to offer.

Are you worried about other debts or bills you can't pay?

The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can provide advice and information on lots of issues, including debt, benefits, legal rights, tax and employment, as well as providing a court desk service. They can help you to manage and prioritise your debts, leaving you feeling more in control of your finances. You can find lots of information and advice on their website, or you can contact the local office on 01242 522491.

CAB holds drop-in sessions at the Tewkesbury Borough Council offices on Mondays from 12noon until 2pm and on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am until 12noon, they also provide a service at the Priority One Shop in Priors Park on Wednesday mornings from 9.30am to 11.30am.

Sessions are also held in Brockworth, from 1:30pm - 4:30pm and Churchdown, Winchcombe and Innsworth can be arranged by appointment.

Clients from any part of Tewkesbury Borough are also welcome to drop into the Cheltenham office at 6 St James Square, Cheltenham, GL50 3PR, which is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

If your financial or personal circumstances have recently changed, you may be entitled to housing or council tax benefits.

Worried about fuel bills?

If you have urgent concerns about your ability to pay your fuel or utility bills, in the first instance you should contact your supplier, who may be able to help by changing the type of fuel or payment plan you are on.

To save money on your fuel costs in the longer term, you can take steps to improve the energy efficiency of your home. There are various options available and some people may also be entitled to a grant to pay for some or all of the work. For more information on energy efficiency measures, call the Energy Savings Trust advice centre on 0800 512 012.

Other sources of advice

The government's own website has lots of information on keeping your home, budgeting, dealing with redundancy and lots more.

There is also free, confidential advice available from National Debt Line on 0808 808 4000 and from the Money Advice Service.

Payday loans advice

Payday loans: Know your rights. Animation by Citizens Advice -