Green refuse bin

Home > Waste and recycling > Green refuse bin

Green bin collection service

The refuse collection is for non-recyclable waste only.

The green refuse bin is emptied fortnightly, alternating with the blue recycling bin collections.

All rubbish collected in the green bin goes to an Energy from Waste (EfW) facility. Although sending waste to an EfW facility is higher up the waste hierarchy than landfilling it, it is costs more to process in an EfW facility so recycling your recyclables and food waste is still better for the environment. We encourage you to recycle as much as possible in the blue bins and in the food waste collections.

Refuse collection guidelines

  • All rubbish must fit in the green bin and the lid must be closed.

  • Rubbish placed at the side or on top of the green bin will not be collected.

  • Put your food waste caddy next your green bin out for collection before 7am on the designated collection day.

If you have excess rubbish that cannot fit in your green refuse bin, it can be taken to a local household recycling centre. Their locations can be found below:

The council encourages all residents to recycle as much as possible before putting anything in the green bin. This reduces the impact on the environment and also saves tax payers money.

Collection day changes

When there is a bank holiday in the week, all collections are usually one day later. Separate arrangements are made for the Christmas and New Year bank holidays.

Additional or replacement bins

All properties have received a green bin. If you have 5 or more in the family you can order an additional green bin. We will supply replacement green wheeled bin for domestic refuse at a charge of £35. To order a bin please telephone customer services on 01684 295010.

Householders' Duty of Care regulations

All householders in England have a legal responsibility to ensure that all of their waste is disposed of properly. Under the Duty of Care regulations, all householders need to ensure that their refuse is passed to authorised carriers only. Householders not taking reasonable measures to do so could face fines of up to £5,000.

If you are using the council to take away all your refuse, then there is nothing more you need to do. If you are using a builder, gardener or house clearer to take away building, garden or household waste, you must ensure they possess an authorised waste carrier's number. If in doubt, you can check their details on the Environment Agency website or by calling 08708 506506.

Further information

Contact us