Dangerous wild animals

Home > Business > Licences and permits > Dangerous wild animals

There are certain wild animals that are considered to be dangerous and so if you want to keep such an animal, the law says you need a licence from us to do so. 

This law was originally introduced in response to public concern about the keeping of dangerous pets, especially big cats. It aims to ensure that where private individuals keep dangerous wild animals they do so in circumstances which create no risk to the public and also safeguards the welfare of the animals.

Applying for a licence

You need a licence if you want to keep any animal which appears on a list decided by the Government. The current list of animals that you need a licence to keep can be downloaded below.

Completed forms should be submitted to us at: The Licensing Department, Tewkesbury Borough Council, Public Services Centre, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury, GL20 5TT.

The current fee to apply for a licence to keep dangerous wild animals is £196.

A vet will be nominated by us to inspect the animal(s), and report back to us with his findings. He will charge us a fee for the inspection which is then re-charged to the person applying for the licence.

Licences for dangerous wild animals remain in force for two years from the date of grant and then expire.

We cannot grant a licence unless we are satisfied that:

  • It is not contrary to the public interest on the grounds of safety, nuisance or otherwise to grant the licence

  • The applicant is a suitable person to hold a licence under the act

  • The animal concerned will at all times

    • Be held in secure accommodation which is suitable in size, construction, temperature, lighting, ventilation, drainage and cleanliness

    • Be supplied with adequate and suitable food, drink and bedding materials and be visited at suitable intervals

  • The animal is adequately protected in the event of an emergency

  • The prevention and control of diseases is addressed

  • The animal is able to exercise adequately

If you are aggrieved by us refusing to grant you a licence or are aggrieved by any licence condition we impose, you can appeal to a Magistrates' Court.