Council tax exemptions

Home > Council tax and benefits > Council tax exemptions

Which properties are exempt from council tax?

Class B

  • An unoccupied dwelling owned by a charity and was previously occupied in furtherance of the charities objectives (exempt for up to six months).

Class D

  • A dwelling left unoccupied by a person who is in prison (except for unpaid council tax).

Class E

  • A dwelling left unoccupied by a person who has moved to receive personal care, whether in a hospital, nursing home or residential care home.

Class F

  • Exemption is available where someone has died. Please contact the Council for more information.

Class G

  • A dwelling whose occupation is forbidden by law, or which is kept unoccupied because of impending compulsory purchase.

Class H

  • An unoccupied vicarage or similar dwelling, awaiting occupation by a Minister of Religion.

Class I

  • A dwelling left unoccupied by a person who has moved to receive personal care elsewhere (other than Class E).

Class J

  • A dwelling left unoccupied by a person who has moved to provide care to another person.

Class K

  • An unoccupied dwelling where the owner is a student who last lived in the dwelling as his/her main home.

Class L

  • An unoccupied dwelling which has been taken into possession by mortgage lender.

Class M

  • An unoccupied dwelling used by students as a Hall of Residence.

Class N

  • A dwelling occupied entirely by students or by students as a term time accommodation.

Class O

  • An occupied dwelling used as armed forces accommodation (barracks).

Class P

  • An occupied dwelling used by a member of a visiting force as accommodation.

Class Q

  • A dwelling where the liable person is a trustee in bankruptcy.

Class R

  • A pitch or mooring which is not occupied by a caravan or boat.

Class S

  • A dwelling occupied only by a person or persons aged under 18 years.

Class T

  • An unoccupied annexe (on which a separate Council Tax Band has been placed) which cannot be let separately from the main dwelling without breaching planning conditions.

Class U

  • A dwelling occupied only by a person who is severely mentally impaired who would otherwise be liable to pay the council tax. Dwellings where the landlord or care home owner is liable to pay the council tax are not exempt.

Class V

  • An occupied dwelling which is used as the main residence of a diplomat, who is not a British citizen.

Class W

  • An occupied annexe (on which a separate council tax band has been placed) which is used as a sole or main residence of a dependent relative of a person who is resident in the main dwelling.

Further information

Online forms and payment

Document downloads

Contact us

Public Services Centre opening hours

  • Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:30am to 5pm

  • Friday: 8:30am to 4pm

Telephone number: 01684 272034