Am I able to claim a reduction for living on my own?
If you are the only person over the age of 18 living in your home, your bill will be reduced by 25 per cent. A single person discount can be applied for by using the online form below or speaking with the revenues team on 01684 272034.
Once we have your application we will send a revised bill, usually within 7 days. Depending on your circumstances, it will normally be back-dated to when 'the resident' was (or became) a single person.
The following people are not included when counting the number of people who live in a property:
- Full-time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth training.
- Patients living in a hospital.
- People being looked after permanently in care homes.
- People who are severely mentally impaired.
- People who are staying in certain hostels or night shelters.
- 18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school.
- Care workers working for low pay, usually charities.
- People caring for a disabled person (excluding partners or child under 18).
- Member of visiting forces and certain international instructions.
- Monks or nuns.
- People in prison (except those in prison for not paying council tax or a fine).
Are there any reductions for people with disabilities?
If you or someone who lives with you (adult or child) who uses a wheelchair indoors or has an additional bathroom, kitchen or other rooms to meet special needs arising from a disability, they could be entitled to Disabled Persons Relief.
For properties in band B to H the relief is given by calculating your council tax bill on the valuation band lower than the one allocated to your property.
From the 1 April 2000 Disabled Person's Relief may also apply to band A properties. The reduction for a band A property will be calculated in line with other bands. The reduction ensures that disabled people do not pay more tax on account of space needed because of a disability.
If you think you may be entitled to a reduction, please contact our Revenue Services 01684 272034 for more information about receiving an application form.
Online forms and payment
Public Services Centre opening hours
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:30am to 5pm
- Friday: 8:30am to 4pm
Telephone number: 01684 272034