Page contents (skip menu), (show/hide menu)
- Why we collect information about you?
- What information do we collect about you?
- Who do we share the information with?
- Is any information transferred to or stored on servers based outside the EEA?
- How long do we keep your information?
- Who do we collect information from?
- What are the consequences if we don’t collect the data?
- Are any decision about you made by automatic means?
Why we collect information about you?
We collect your personal data in order to assess your discretionary housing payment application. We will only collect the personal data from you we need in order to make this assessment and provide this service to you.
We collect personal information such as but not limited to national insurance number, date of birth, contact details etc. This will have already been collected when making a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.
- In order to check your eligibility to a DHP further personal information and expenditure details may be requested such as bank statements and personal receipts.
- We collect personal information for the prevention and detection of fraud.
- All data captured may be subject to audit reviews.
What information do we collect about you?
We may collect the following information in both paper form and electronic format. This list is not exhaustive and we may obtain other information that we require to assess your DHP correctly:
- Proof of income and capital for yourself and your household.
- Proof of expenditure for your household.
- Proof of your rental laibility
Who do we share the information with?
We may give information to third parties to check the accuracy of information, to prevent or detect crime or to protect public funds where the law allows it. These third parties include:
- Department of Work and Pensions
- Other local authorities and government departments
- HM Revenues & Customs
- Support workers
We may also share information with bodies that are responsible for auditing or administering public funds.
Is any information transferred to or stored on servers based outside the European Economic Area?
No information is transferred to or stored on servers based outside the EEA.
How long do we keep your information?
DHP Information is stored in conjunction with any housing benefit claim for the duration of a claim or longer due to an outstanding overpayment that is being recovered or in the process of recovery action.
Who do we collect information from?
We may get information from third parties including:
- The Department for Works and Pensions.
- HM Revenue & Customs
What are the consequences if we do not collect the data?
Without your information we are unable to make a correct assessment of your DHP application and therefore are unable to pay you.
Are any decision about you made by automatic means?
- All claims are calculated by computer software designed to handle Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction and DHP.
- Selected housing associations automatically upload their rents.
Last updated: 20 April 2018 (BK)