Page contents (skip menu), (show/hide menu)
- Why we collect information about you?
- What information do we collect about you?
- Who do we share the information with?
- Is any information transferred to or stored on servers based outside the EEA?
- How long do we keep your information?
- Who do we collect information from?
- What are the consequences if we don’t collect the data?
- Are any decision about you made by automatic means?
Why we collect information about you?
We collect your personal data in order to assess and process council tax.
We do this as a legal obligation in line with the Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992.
What information do we collect about you?
We collect the following information in both paper form and electronic format this list is not exhaustive and we may obtain other information that we require for Council Tax and enforcement purposes:
- Proof of your identity such as but not limited to name, address
- Adult occupancy of address
- Bank details for direct debits
- Dates of occupation and when a property is vacant
For certain discounts we collect the following information:
- Medical information
- Benefit entitlement
- Student status
Who do we share the information with?
We may disclose information to third parties where it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation. Councils are required by law to protect the public funds they administer. We may use any of the information provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share information with other bodies that are responsible for auditing or administering public funds, including the Cabinet Office.
The Cabinet Office requires councils to participate in data matching exercises to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud.
We may share your information with the following people/organisations:
- Enforcement agents
- National Audit Office
- The Cabinet Office
- The Police
- Other local authorities
- Any other interested departments with TBC
- The Valuation Office Agency
Is any information transferred to or stored on servers based outside the European Economic Area?
No information is transferred to or stored on servers based outside the EEA.
How long do we keep your information?
We will keep all records relating to council tax from 31March 1993.
Who do we collect information from?
We collect information from the following sources:
- Landlord including managing agents
- Other local authorities
- Other departments with Tewkesbury Borough Council
- Valuation Office Agency
- Credit agencies
- Land registry
What are the consequences if we do not collect the data?
Council Tax will not be charged or collected correctly which we are legally required to do as per legislation set by central government.
Are any decision about you made by automatic means?
All liability is calculated by computer software designed to handle the administration of Council Tax.
Last updated: 21 March 2018 (BK)