Council tax

Home > Council tax and benefits > Council tax

Help with your Council Tax

For general enquiries regarding your Council Tax please call 01684 272034.

If you think you may qualify for Council Tax Reduction, please contact our Benefits team on 01684 272035 and ask for a trial calculation. If you do qualify, an application form will be sent to you.

Please remember that any delay in claiming will mean that you lose out on benefit you are entitled.

Find out more about benefits and financial support.

Ways to pay your Council tax

Council tax is calculated as a daily rate multiplied by the number of days in the financial year and can be paid in instalments. All domestic properties are charged council tax and the amount is calculated by which valuation band the property falls into.

Council tax bills are issued before the start of the financial year, which runs from April to March and there is one bill for each home.

By direct debit

Please telephone us on 01684 272034 to set up a direct debit.

By standing order

Please ask your bank or building society to use Tewkesbury Borough Council's bank account number 40875473 and sort code 20-20-23.  Please quote only your council tax account number when making payment.

Pay online

You can pay your council tax securely online using the link below:

By phone using your credit or debit card, you can make a payment using the council's automated telephone payment systems. You will need to have your debit or credit card details, along with you council tax account number ready before you ring. The number to phone is 03300 883 709.

At a Bank or Post Office: You will need to fill in a transaction slip and may face a charge from the bank or post office. Please Note: this method of payment takes longer to reach your account and some banks may not accept payments in this way. If you are paying at the Post Office please quote the council's Transcash account no 1250116 and your council tax reference number.

By Post: You can send a cheque made payable to Tewkesbury Borough Council. Please write your council tax account number on the back of the cheque and post it to:

The Cashier, Tewkesbury Borough Council, Public Services Centre, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire. GL20 5TT.

Council tax bands and how they are calculated

Every domestic property has been allocated one of eight bands according to its estimated sale value on 1 April 1991. New properties are valued as if they had existed in 1991.

It is the responsibility of the listings officer to maintain the council tax bands. This officer works for the valuation officer (part of the Inland Revenue) and not the council. Please see the contact details below:

Address: Valuation Office Agency, Ley Court, Barnett Way, Gloucester GL4 7RT.
Telephone: 03000 501501.

Bands and values for England

  •  H- Over £320,000
  • G - Between £160,001 and £320,000
  • F - Between £120,001 and £160,000
  • E - Between £88,001 and £120,000
  • D - Between £68,001 and £88,000
  • C - Between £52,001 and £68,000
  • B - Between £40,001 and £52,000
  • A  - Not exceeding £40,000

For further information on valuation office.

If I disagree with my property's valuation band can I do something about it?

Yes you can, but you must do it within six months of occupation unless there has been a reduction in the value of the property.

This can be caused by the demolition of any part of the property, any change in its physical state, locality or any adaptation to make it suitable for use by physically disabled persons.

It is the responsibility of the listings officer to maintain the council tax bands. This officer works for the Valuation Office Agency and not the council.

The listings officer can amend a band in the following circumstances:

  • There has been a material increase in the dwellings value and a relevant transaction has subsequently been carried out.
  • There has been a reduction in the dwellings value.
  • The dwelling has become or ceased to be a mixture of domestic dwelling and non-domestic use.
  • To correct an error.
  • By order of a Valuation Tribunal or High Court.

If you disagree with the council tax band for your property, you should contact the Valuation Office Agency. You will be asked to explain the reasons why you think the list entry is wrong (for example you may feel that the property is in the wrong band because other similar properties in your street are in a lower band). The Valuation Office Agency may conduct a 'band review ' and will contact you as soon as possible to let you know the outcome.

The contact details for the Valuation Office Agency for our area are:

Address: Valuation Office Agency, Ley Court, Barnett Way, Gloucester GL4 7RT.
Telephone: 03000 501501

More information on valuation office.

While any appeal is outstanding, the current charges remain due and payable. Should you be successful in securing a reduction, then any overpayment will be refunded or credited to you.

Who has to pay council tax?

If you are over 18 and live in a property as your main home, you will have to pay council tax for that property.

If there are a number of people over 18 living in a property, the person liable to pay the council tax for a property is decided by reference to a 'hierarchy of liability', the person with the greatest interest in a property is the person liable to pay the council tax.

This is normally the owner/occupier or the tenant/occupier.

There could be more than one person with the same interest and therefore they will be jointly liable.

The person liable for the council tax is whoever comes first in the list below:

  • Residents who have a freehold interest.
  • Residents who have a leasehold interest.
  • Residents who are statutory or secure tenants.
  • Residents who have a contractual licence to occupy.
  • Residents.
  • Owners.
  • Residents - Any individual aged eighteen or over who has their sole or main residence in the dwelling.

Owners - A person who has an interest in the whole or any part of the dwelling. An interest is a freehold interest or leasehold granted for six months or more.

When can I appeal?

You can make an appeal if you think:

  •   You are being sent council tax bills but are not liable person.
  •   Your home should be an exempt dwelling.
  •   The amount of the bill is incorrect, for example, if you think a discount should apply or if the council has not reduced the bill after an application has been made for a disabled reduction.

How to make an appeal

In the first instance, write to: Revenues and Benefit Department, Tewkesbury Borough Council, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury, Glos. GL20 5TT. You should fully explain the reasons for your appeal.

We have two months to consider your appeal and make a decision. We will write to you with a full explanation. If you still disagree with the decision or if you have received a reply within the two months, you can make a further appeal to a valuation tribunal.

Valuation tribunal

If you are unhappy with a decision made by the local taxation manager following an appeal, you can refer the matter to a valuation tribunal.

For more information or obtaining a form on valuation tribunal or you can ask us for your local tribunal address.

The tribunal will ask you to make your appeal in writing, stating which decision you are appealing against, why you disagree with the decision or it may be that the council has not reached a decision. If you and the council agree your appeal, it can be dealt with in writing. Alternatively you can attend a hearing where both you and the council will be asked to present full details of the issue. You will be contacted, prior to the hearing and advised of the date your appeal will be heard and you will be sent a letter detailing the tribunal procedures. A hearing will generally last no longer than a day.

The hearing will not cost you anything unless you decide to employ a solicitor or another person to present your case. No decision will be made at the hearing but you will be advised in writing of the decision made by the tribunal. If the tribunal decides in your favour, the council will revise your bill and adjust your payments accordingly.

Am I able to claim a reduction for living on my own?

If you are the only person over the age of 18 living in your home, your bill will be reduced by 25 per cent. A single person discount can be applied for by using the online form below or speaking with the revenues team on 01684 272034.

Once we have your application we will send a revised bill, usually within 7 days. Depending on your circumstances, it will normally be back-dated to when 'the resident' was (or became) a single person.

The following people are not included when counting the number of people who live in a property:

  •  Full-time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth training.
  •  Patients living in a hospital.
  •  People being looked after permanently in care homes.
  •  People who are severely mentally impaired.
  •  People who are staying in certain hostels or night shelters.
  •  18 and 19 year olds who are at or have just left school.
  •  Care workers working for low pay, usually charities.
  •  People caring for a disabled person (excluding partners or child under 18).
  •  Member of visiting forces and certain international instructions.
  •  Monks or nuns.
  •  People in prison (except those in prison for not paying council tax or a fine).

Are there any reductions for people with disabilities?

If you or someone who lives with you (adult or child) who uses a wheelchair indoors or has an additional bathroom, kitchen or other rooms to meet special needs arising from a disability, they could be entitled to Disabled Persons Relief.

For properties in band B to H the relief is given by calculating your council tax bill on the valuation band lower than the one allocated to your property.

From the 1 April 2000 Disabled Person's Relief may also apply to band A properties. The reduction for a band A property will be calculated in line with other bands. The reduction ensures that disabled people do not pay more tax on account of space needed because of a disability.

If you think you may be entitled to a reduction, please contact our Revenue Services 01684 272034 for more information about receiving an application form.

Which properties are exempt from council tax?

  • Class B - An unoccupied dwelling owned by a charity and was previously occupied in furtherance of the charities objectives (exempt for up to six months).
  • Class D - A dwelling left unoccupied by a person who is in prison (except for unpaid council tax).
  • Class E - A dwelling left unoccupied by a person who has moved to receive personal care, whether in a hospital, nursing home or residential care home.
  • Class F - Exemption is available where someone has died. Please contact the Council for more information.
  • Class G - A dwelling whose occupation is forbidden by law, or which is kept unoccupied because of impending compulsory purchase.
  • Class H - An unoccupied vicarage or similar dwelling, awaiting occupation by a Minister of Religion.
  • Class I - A dwelling left unoccupied by a person who has moved to receive personal care elsewhere (other than Class E).
  • Class J - A dwelling left unoccupied by a person who has moved to provide care to another person.
  • Class K - An unoccupied dwelling where the owner is a student who last lived in the dwelling as his/her main home.
  • Class L - An unoccupied dwelling which has been taken into possession by mortgage lender.
  • Class M - An unoccupied dwelling used by students as a Hall of Residence.
  • Class N - A dwelling occupied entirely by students or by students as a term time accommodation.
  • Class O - An occupied dwelling used as armed forces accommodation (barracks).
  • Class P - An occupied dwelling used by a member of a visiting force as accommodation.
  • Class Q - A dwelling where the liable person is a trustee in bankruptcy.
  • Class R - A pitch or mooring which is not occupied by a caravan or boat.
  • Class S - A dwelling occupied only by a person or persons aged under 18 years.
  • Class T - An unoccupied annexe (on which a separate Council Tax Band has been placed) which cannot be let separately from the main dwelling without breaching planning conditions.
  • Class U - A dwelling occupied only by a person who is severely mentally impaired who would otherwise be liable to pay the council tax. Dwellings where the landlord or care home owner is liable to pay the council tax are not exempt.
  • Class V - An occupied dwelling which is used as the main residence of a diplomat, who is not a British citizen.
  • Class W - An occupied annexe (on which a separate council tax band has been placed) which is used as a sole or main residence of a dependent relative of a person who is resident in the main dwelling.

Further information

Online forms and payment

Document downloads

Contact us

Public Services Centre opening hours

  • Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:30am to 5pm
  • Friday: 8:30am to 4pm

Telephone number: 01684 272034