Community right to bid
The Community Right to Bid was introduced by the government in the Localism Act 2011, and came into effect on 21 September 2012.
In essence, community groups can nominate local land or buildings as 'assets of community value' that cannot be sold without the community group first being informed and given the opportunity to prepare a bid.
Assets include a pub, a village shop, a library building or community centre. These assets could be owned by the council or other public body, a private company or an individual but excludes individual residencies.
We have an approved procedure for dealing with Community Right to Bid nominations. This procedure was approved by our Executive Committee on 9 January 2013.
The nomination form, guidance notes and register are available to download below.
Community right to challenge
The Community Right to Challenge under Part 5 of the Localism Act allows communities to submit expressions of interest to deliver council services. Relevant authorities such as Tewkesbury Borough Council must consider 'expressions of interest' in respect of relevant services from relevant bodies. Relevant bodies will include:
- Voluntary / Community bodies.
- Parish councils.
- Two or more employees of the relevant authority. Where we accept the expression of interest then a procurement exercise for the service in question must be carried out.
Guidance on the Community Right to Challenge came into force on 27 June 2012.
At Tewkesbury Borough Council, if our communities feel we could do better in any area then we would be happy to discuss their concerns and we will always have an open mind to the most efficient ways of providing services. However, we need to comply with our obligations under Part 5 of the Localism Act.
- Accept expressions of interest at any time.
- Acknowledge receipt of an expression of interest within 30 days.
- Make a decision on an expression of interest within 12 weeks.
- If an expression of interest is accepted we will start a procurement process within three to six months.
If you are thinking of submitting an expression of interest, we would welcome an informal approach in the first instance. All enquiries please contact: Graeme Simpson, Performance and Audit Manager, telephone 01684 272018 or email email@example.com.