Commercial waste

Home > Waste and recycling > Commercial waste

Commercial waste collection service

Tewkesbury Borough Council's commercial waste collection service offers a reliable, competitively priced service which can be tailored to the needs of your business. 

Run by waste contractors, Ubico Ltd, the weekly service provides a range of sizes of durable wheeled bin containers or, for businesses generating less waste, a sack collection service is also available. The amount charged will depend on the size of the bin or the number of sacks you use.

For a competitive quotation please contact Ubico by email at or telephone 01242 387760.

Service benefits and overview

  • As the Waste Collection Authority for the Borough of Tewkesbury, the Council is in a unique position to offer commercial customers a collection service at competitive rates

  • An essential part of the service included in the price is the administration paperwork necessary to ensure customers comply with legislation

  • We offer a range of bin sizes as well as commercial waste sacks. However due to the mechanical methods of collection, bins are always the preferred option

  • Bins are initially provided free of charge but remain the property of the Council. Damage or loss must be covered by the customer and should be considered when arranging insurance

  • Special arrangements are available for schools, charity shops and registered charities, contact us for more details

Why choose Tewkesbury Borough Council?

  • Trading surpluses reduce Council Tax and Business Rates

  • Our prices are regularly monitored to ensure they are competitive

  • Dedicated professional staff are able to offer customer service and help on waste issues

  • TBC is committed to enriching and protecting the local environment

What do you get?

  • A very high standard of service

  • A choice of bin sizes and sacks to suit your needs

  • A dedicated customer services team

  • One year (season ticket) waste transfer note

  • The relevant legal documents that will ensure you comply with the relevant part of the Environmental Protection Act 1990

  • Peace of mind that your waste is being disposed of at a licenced and environmentally sound facility

What we require from you

  • This collection service is for general waste only. You need to make sure no hazardous waste is put in the bins

  • Make sure that all your waste is contained within the bins provided. Any side waste will not be collected unless contained in TBC commercial waste sacks

Duty of care for waste - does it apply to me?

Section 34 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 imposes a duty of care on all persons concerned with controlled waste. Therefore all holders of commercial waste have a statutory duty to:

  • Make sure the waste on their premises is contained in appropriate receptacles

  • Make sure steps are taken to ensure waste is not spilt or wind-blown

  • Make sure waste produced is transferred to a registered waste carrier or operator who is licenced to handle and dispose of the type and quantity of waste involved

  • Make sure a transfer note (Duty of Care Note) is jointly signed with the person who is carrying the waste. The note must be kept by the transferor and transferee for a minimum of two years

Hazardous waste

Unfortunately, we are unable to collect hazardous waste, (eg Asbestos, batteries, pesticides, etc.). If your business generates hazardous waste, you will need to contact a specialist contractor.

Recycling commercial waste

At the moment, we do not offer a commercial recycling service, but we plan to review this in order to help local businesses improve environmental performance. Until then, there are lots of private companies who could help with any recycling requirements you may have.

Commercial waste - the law

Collecting and disposing of commercial waste must be arranged by business owners - business rates do not cover this.

Under the 'Controlled Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2012', waste created from business premises is classed as commercial waste. It is an offence for businesses to use the domestic kerbside waste and recycling service, public recycling bank sites, and household recycling centres to dispose of commercial waste.

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, all businesses - whatever their size - have a responsibility to ensure that their waste is stored securely and disposed of properly. This responsibility, known as 'duty of care', means that a business must ensure that its waste is only transported and disposed of by a licensed waste disposal company and that the relevant paperwork (known as Waste Transfer Notes, which are used to formally document all the waste which is moved) is kept as a record for a minimum of two years (this is a legal requirement).  To check whether a carrier is licensed to collect your waste you can telephone the Environment Agency on 0870 850 6506.

The council and the Environment Agency can ask to see your Waste Transfer Notes at short notice.  Failure to produce them, even if they have been lost, means you will be in breach of your duty of care and you may be subject to a fixed penalty notice of £300.

Contact us

If you require any further information regarding Commercial Waste Collection please contact or telephone 01242 387760.