Caravan sites

Home > Business > Licences and permits > Caravan sites

In law the term caravan includes those which can be towed behind cars, motor homes, static holiday homes and the more modern residential park homes, which often arrive on site in two sections and are then bolted together.


The law covering caravans is contained in:

  • Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 - This act covers the licensing of caravan sites and the safety, welfare and management conditions which need to be provided

  • Caravan Sites Act 1968 - This act deals with protection from eviction from residential sites and the maximum dimensions for caravans

  • The Mobile Homes Act 1983 - This act covers the civil law between site owners and residents on 'protected sites'. A protected site is one which has planning permission for permanent residential use and has been issued with a site licence

The first two Acts are enforced by us but the Mobile Homes Act may involve County Court action by residents or site owners themselves to resolve any disputes.


Applications for site licences are made to the local authority in whose area the land is situated. Applications must be in writing, should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority.

In order to be eligible to be issued with a licence you must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. In addition licences will not be issued to you if you have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

We can only issue a licence for a new caravan site after the site has received the necessary planning permission and a completed application for a site licence.

We may also agree to the transfer of an existing licence to a new licence. You can apply for a caravan site licence using the following form:

Once completed the form and any related documents should be returned to us at:

The Licensing Department, Tewkesbury Borough Council, Public Services Centre, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury, GL20 5TT.

You do not have to pay a fee to apply for a caravan site licence.

Will tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that we process and consider all applications.